Ambassador Volunteer Program
Thank you for your interest in becoming an Old Salem Volunteer! Our new Ambassador Volunteer Program is a special group of people who work alongside staff and provide valuable assistance and support to the many aspects of the Old Salem Education Division. This is an opportunity to use your skills and to learn new ones. Please see the short descriptions of the various positions that are listed below, and we hope that one or more will appeal to you!
Ambassador Volunteer Positions:
- Exhibit Interpreter: Welcomes and greets visitors; Guides visitors through exhibits; Protects artifacts and exhibits. Helps to maintain building traffic flow.
- Hands-On History Guide: Leads interactive, historically-based hands-on activities for youth and adult visitors (ex: quill pen writing, painting, etc.)
- Museum Greeter: Welcomes visitors to buildings, orients them to the place and time, gathers groups for tours.
- Historic Interpreter: Navigates visitors through 18th and early 19th century history as it relates to specific museum buildings using interesting narratives and artifacts.
- Museum Musicians: Volunteers who are skilled on organ, piano, flute, brass, strings and/or clavichord may perform period music for special events. Audition required.
- Historic Trades Volunteer: Greets visitors in various trade shops and answers questions regarding the trade itself and the importance of trades in the Moravian town of Salem.
- Special Event Assistant: Provides support through various duties related to events such as luncheons, concerts, historic event days, lectures, and conferences.
- Behind the Scenes Supporter: Provides assistance with preparing for historic cooking classes, trades and holiday workshops.
- College Internships: Positions available for semester-long college internships in a variety of fields.
- Learn about additional Old Salem Museums & Gardens volunteer opportunities here.
How to Apply:
- Download and complete this Ambassador Volunteer Application.
- Return your completed application to: Tyler Cox, Manager of Community Relations & Volunteers, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 600 South Main St., Winston-Salem, NC 27101. The deadline to apply for our inaugural class is Tuesday, December 1, 2015.
- Join us for another upcoming Ambassador Volunteer Program Information Session on Saturday, November 21 at 10:00 a.m.– a free event with refreshments where you can learn about the program, meet with Old Salem leadership and ask questions. Reservations encouraged by not required by contacting Tyler Cox at email@example.com or at 336-721-7364.
- Mark your calendars for the upcoming Ambassador Volunteer Training Session set for January 13, 2016 in the Visitor Center.