Salem Saturdays at Christmas
Salem Saturdays at Christmas are great fun for the kids, and just what you need during the hectic holiday season. Slow down, stroll Main Street, visit the decorated buildings, and sit & chat with our interpreters. Learn how this remote part of Carolina created an environment of celebration and reflection in the solitude of this rural landscape. A Moravian Christmas in North Carolina has a distinctive southern quality. A slight nip in the air, an abundance of pine& magnolia leaves, the smell of beeswax candles, intricate putz, decorated pyramid trees, and of course baked treats from Winkler Bakery. Activities included with your purchase of a Seasonal “All-in-One” ticket.
- St. Nick at the Butner Hat Shop. When you and your child (Guardian & Child) purchase your tickets to explore the historic district, you can visit St. Nick’s workshop, tell him what you want for Christmas and snap a photo! (NOTE: There will not be a photographer). Every day 9:30 AM-4:30PM (St. Nick will not be at Old Salem for December 1st, 2018).
- “Salem Sleuth”. Let the little ones enjoy Salem while they keep their eyes open in our scavenger hunt.
- “Winkler Bake Day”. Saturday is bake day at Winkler Bakery and a great time to actually help make Holiday cookies and see the beehive oven in action, Grab some of our Christmas stollen, cookies, lovefeast buns,and breads to take home.
- Miksch Gardens & House. Stop in and stay a bit, and see how the earliest houses in Salem celebrated Christmas. Find out what’s cooking, fold some clothes, and become part of the family. Maybe you can help grind spices for our gingerbread!
- John Vogler House “Quilting Frolic”. Unlike any other house museum, take a seat and chat while you try your hand at our group quilting party. Try your hand at a Christmas craft and help decorate the tree.
- The Joiner’s Woodshop. See how the Christmas pyramid is constructed and try your hand at the lathe or the hand-plane. This is definitely a stop for those who like to try things out.
- Boys’ School. Experience the all new Cabinet of Curiosities while you listen to a selection of Moravian music. Impromptu concerts of holiday music will be played on our piano forte are not uncommon.
- Gunsmith Workshop. There is a chill in the air, but don’t stand to close to the coals while you watch our master craftspeople prepare metalwork.
- Potter’s Workshop. Always an exciting time in our new workshop, Get messy while you join our master craftspeople in creating our special and Handcrafted Salem pottery.
- T. Bagge Merchant. People come from all around to buy the unique items in our stores. We will have Saturday sales and live craftsman presentations. Take home one of our new Handcrafted Salem items. Perfect for Christmas gifts!
- Salem Tavern Museum and Barn. Experience the new tavern barn yard and join us for a special Saturday hearthside cooking day.
- “Hidden Town” Room of Meditation & Reflection. Spend some quiet time in our room dedicated to those who were enslaved in Salem (above the historic tavern kitchen).
- St. Philips Heritage Center. The entire family can learn about the African-American legacy that grew out of the Moravian town of Salem. See how this congregation celebrated the season.
- Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts – Get up close to (and maybe even touch!) a different seasonal artifact every week at our “closer look” tables and search our galleries for clues in our special scavenger hunt!
- Single Brothers’ House. Sit, lie down, open drawers, and journal in the unmarried men’s communal living quarters. See how they prepared for the winter season ( and kept warm) in the 1700’s. Don’t miss our new “Salem Waterworks” Exhibit or our textile craftsperson working the loom.
- Visit our new Salem Stitches workshop space (opening October 2018).
- HANDCRAFTED + SALEM 1766 items will be available in our retail stores and ready to be wrapped and placed under the tree.
We also offer special workshops, evening tours, and other experiences: Some of which are listed below:
- Salem Night: Softly the Night is Sleeping, Candlelight evening, December 22nd, 2018 only.
- “Behind the Scenes Tour” at the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts. Offered Saturdays at 11:00am & 2:00pm. $20 per person.
- Salem Saturday Family Boxed lunch by Flour Box Tea Room. Please call in advanced the Flour Box at 336.201.5182 . Adult Boxed Lunch, Child Boxed Lunch,Price varies.
- A Baking We Go! Christmas By Candle Light Guided Tour $50 per person.
- Special Hotel packages. Price varies.