All-American Summer Tours
Historic Town of Salem
Experience American History
at Old Salem:
– In 1791, President George Washington spent two nights in Salem, attending a service, studying the waterworks system, and speaking to the townspeople. See where he stayed in the Salem Tavern Museum
– View a 1795-1805 portrait of George Washington on display at the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts
– View historic United States flags flying along our museum buildings representing the different time periods of Salem’s history.
– View the historic marker in the center of Salem Square commemorating our country’s very first celebration of Peace in 1783
– Visit the oldest continuously-operating gun shop in America, the T. Vogler Gunsmith Shop
Tues-Sat (9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.) &
Sun (1-4:30 p.m.)
Old Salem Historic District
(900 Old Salem Road)
There’s no better place than Old Salem Museums & Gardens to experience an All-American Summer. It’s the site of the nation’s first official Independence Day celebration and, after all, George Washington really did sleep here!
Visit Old Salem this summer and experience history brought to life through storytelling as well as fun and engaging hands-on activities and events. In addition, you can tour original buildings, stroll through Old Salem’s beautiful, award-winning gardens, which will be in full bloom, shop at our retail stores, enjoy delicious fresh baked goods and cool off on a guided tour inside the renowned Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts.
Begin your tour at the Old Salem Visitor Center (900 Old Salem Road) where you can purchase tickets and enjoy a free orientation video and free parking.
Tour is included with the purchase of an All-In-One ticket. Friends of Old Salem enjoy free admission (click to find out more about becoming a Friend of Old Salem).
Old Salem All-In-One Visitor Ticket includes:
- Self-guided tour of the museum buildings in the Historic Town of Salem including the Single Brothers’ House, the Miksch Gardens & House, Salem Tavern Museum, St. Philips Heritage Center, the Timothy Vogler Gunsmith Shop, and more.
- Access to the self-guided galleries—the McNamara Southern Masterworks Gallery and the Mariner Southern Ceramics Gallery—at the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts (MESDA).
- A self-guided tour of the Gardens at Old Salem, where utility, practicality, and beauty unite.
- Valid for two (2) consecutive days.
- Can be redeemed once for up to one-year from date of purchase (not required to be used on the date you select below).
Plan Your Visit:
• View our Daily Activity Schedule
For more information, please call (336) 721-7300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.