Independence Day Celebration
Old Salem Historic District
Presented in partnership with:
Click here for information about our Independence Day Weekend activities (July 2-3)
Begin your visit at the Old Salem Visitor Center (900 Old Salem Road) where you can enjoy a free orientation video and free parking.
Join us for our annual Independence Day Celebration! We will have hands-on activities, patriotic music, concerts, and demonstrations and more fun for the whole family.
- At 10:00 a.m., we will host our annual Naturalization Ceremony in Salem Square. At this moving ceremony, candidates for US citizenship will take an oath of allegiance to become new Americans. Keynote speaker will be former US Senator Kay Hagan. Admission is free. (In the event of rain, this event will be held in the James A. Gray, Jr. Auditorium in the Old Salem Visitor Center).
- Throughout the day, stop by the archeological dig site of Lot 38 on Main Street to learn about the ongoing excavation of Salem’s original potter. Click here to learn more.
- At noon, enjoy a concert entitled “Celebrate America!” by Leonard Rowe, baritone, at St. Philips. Rowe will be accompanied by David Pegg on piano and the concert will include music by Aaron Copland, patriotic song, U.S. Armed Forces songs, and spirituals.
- At 2:00 p.m., the Psalm of Joy will be performed at Home Moravian Church accompanied by a Lovefeast—this commemorates the musical celebration of peace in Salem at the end of the Revolutionary War.
- At the end of the day join us on Salem Square to participate in a commemoration of the first July 4th celebration in Salem, including music from a Moravian Brass Band.
The Tavern in Old Salem will be open from 11 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. that day with a specialized menu. No reservations taken on this day.
Activities are included with the purchase of All-In-One tickets, which are $27 for adults and $13 for students ages 4-18. Tickets can be purchased online or at the Visitor Center at 900 Old Salem Road.
For more information, please contact (336) 721-7350 or firstname.lastname@example.org.