Independence Day Celebration
Old Salem Historic District
Begin your visit at the Old Salem Visitor Center (900 Old Salem Road) where you can enjoy a free orientation video and free parking.
Did you know Salem was the site of the first public July 4th celebration? Join us as we continue the celebration! Enjoy hands-on activities, patriotic music, demonstrations, and fun for the whole family.
- At 10:00 a.m., we will host our annual Naturalization Ceremony. At this moving ceremony, candidates for US citizenship will take an oath of allegiance to become new Americans. Admission is free.
- Watch the Gunsmiths at work and see patriotic ornamentation on early longriflesView the graves of Revolutionary War soldiers
- Learn about African Americans who served in the Revolutionary War
- Put your “John Hancock” on the Declaration of Independence—learn about this important document and take your turn signing
- Enjoy performances by a Moravian Brass Band
- Experience an 1830s Independence Day Celebration and learn about the popular Election Cakes
- Hear Patriotic Music on the 1798 Tannenberg Organ
- See Historic Trades Demonstrations
- Enjoy Moravian Music sung by Old Salem’s Choral Ensemble—The Singing Sisters
- Visit the Summer Garden and see its harvest being prepared and preserved in the kitchen
- Learn about historic medicines and watch them being made
- Visit the kitchen and learn how summer milk is utilized for cheese making
- Paint your own botanical watercolor and more!
Activities are included with the purchase of All-In-One tickets, which are $27 for adults and $13 for students ages 4-18. Tickets can be purchased online or at the Visitor Center at 900 Old Salem Road.
For more information, please contact (336) 721-7350 or email@example.com.