Independence Day Celebration
Old Salem Historic District
The Independence Celebration continues
into the weekend!
Begin your visit at the Old Salem Visitor Center (900 Old Salem Road) where you can enjoy a free orientation video and free parking.
Join Old Salem Museums and Gardens for an Independence Day celebration. Enjoy hands-on activities, demonstrations, music, games and more throughout the historic district. In addition, a moving naturalization ceremony will take place at 10 a.m. The historic buildings will be decorated with flags that correspond with their era. There’s no better place to celebrate our nation’s independence than the site of the first Fourth of July celebration.
Throughout the day you may enjoy:
– Reading of the Declaration of Independence with hymns by Home Moravian Church on Salem Square (8:30am)
– Naturalization Ceremony (10:00am)
– Listen to Patriotic Music in the Single Brothers’ House Saal
– Hear the reading of the Declaration of Independence at the Tavern Museum
– Learn about Travel Care and Syllabub at the Tavern Museum
– Create your own Patriotic Pierced Paper at the Vierling Barn
– Taste our baker Christian Winkler’s recipe for Lemon Ice Cream at the Vierling Wash Bake House
– Participate in fire engine drills at Salem Square (1:00pm – 3:00pm)
– Play colonial games in the Tavern Meadow (10:00am – 1:00pm)
– Enjoy the Tavern Meadow for a family picnic
– Take a self-guided garden tour
– Independence Jazz Concert at St. Philips Heritage Center (1:00pm & 2:45pm)
– Attend a Puppet Show: Sister Maus (10:30am, 11:00am, 11:30am, 12:30pm, 1:00pm)
– And much more!
At 2:00pm attend a very special performance of the Psalm of Joy (originally part of the Moravian’s 1783 observance of July 4th) held at Home Moravian Church. At 4:15pm, become a part of the 1783 celebration of Peace that will be reenacted with a procession around Salem Square!
We hope you will join us on this American Holiday for lots of fun for the entire family.
For more information, please contact (336) 721-7350 or email@example.com.