Preservation Month: Old Salem National Landmark Trolley Tour
with Walking Tour of Happy Hill
As part of this year’s Preservation Month theme of ‘Landmarks Rock‘ which is focusing on the importance of Historic Landmarks, a ‘trolley’ tour of the newly expanded Old Salem National Historic Landmark district will be made with stops at the 1784 Stockburger Farm and the Second African American Cemetery. The tour will start at Triad Eco Tours at 176 YWCA Way, and will end at the marker unveiling for the Brothers’ Springs/African School on Alder Street. There will be an option to take the trolley back to Triad Eco Tours, walk (only a few blocks away), or join with a walking tour into the Happy Hill neighborhood (information below).
Tickets will be $20 and are available for purchase starting April 8 at the Twin City Hive, space is limited.
Walking tour of Happy Hill option:
Join the Historic Resources Commission at Happy Hill Park to unveil The Brothers’ Spring and the African School marker. The Brothers’ Spring provided clean water, an important campsite, and a recreational park in the 18th and 19th centuries. Uphill from the spring, freedmen of the area and the Salem African Church (St. Philips Moravian) established the first school in the county for African-American children in 1867. A tour of the Happy Hill neighborhood will follow, led by Cheryl Harry, Director of African-American Programming for Old Salem Museums & Gardens.