Self-Guided Holiday Tours
Historic Town of Salem
Begin your tour at the Old Salem Visitor Center (900 Old Salem Road) where you can purchase tickets and enjoy a free orientation video and free parking.
Activities are included with the purchase of an All-In-One ticket*. Friends of Old Salem enjoy free admission (learn more about becoming a Friend of Old Salem).
*Seasonal pricing applies. All-in-One tickets are valid for two consecutive museum open days.
Please Note: Old Salem Museums & Gardens will be closed
Christmas Eve & Christmas Day (December 24 & 25)
Tuesdays through Saturdays (9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
Sundays (1-4:30 p.m.)
Old Salem Historic District
(900 Old Salem Road)
A visit to Old Salem during the Holiday Season is a step back to a more simple time. Enjoy traditional decorations, the smell of fresh baked treats emanating from the bakery, and the sound of music drifting through the air.
On your Self-Guided Tour during this time, follow the progression of Christmas decorating and how it changed over time, with more elaborate decor in the 19th-century buildings.
Experiences you can look forward to on your tour after you cross the Moravian-star covered Heritage Bridge:
- Learn about traditional Moravian decor items such as putzes, Christmas pyramids and illuminations
- See the potter preparing items that would have been given as gifts or used in decorations
- At St. Philips, learn what Christmas would have been like for the African Americans in Salem
- See how coffee was made and learn how it was used in the Moravian lovefeast
- See the winter gardens and learn what seasonal foods were grown during Christmastime in Salem
- Catch a glimpse of an upside down Christmas tree in the Miskch House
- Enjoy the aroma of freshly baked treats in Winkler Bakery and visit the Shops at Old Salem!
- And much more!
For more information, please call (336) 721-7300 or email email@example.com.