WS/FC 8th Grade Day
"War in Salem"
Old Salem gratefully acknowledges Forsyth County for generously underwriting field trip tickets for 8th graders from Winston-Salem/Forsyth County public schools in 2015-16.
Please contact the Group Tours office at 1-800-441-5305 for eligibility and additional details.
9:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m.Old Salem Historic DistrictThis is a special event for WS/FC 8th Graders.
Our Winston-Salem/Forsyth County public school 8th graders are invited to discover what it was like to be a child during the Revolutionary and Civil War times in Salem. These events will feature many hands-on activities and demonstrations throughout the historic district, including:
- Take part in a military drill with the militia on the tavern meadow.
- Learn the difference between arming the military and arming a civilian at the T. Vogler Gunshop.
- Learn about military rations and taste 18th century chocolate.
- Learn about early currency and why the Moravians had to pay a tax for exemption.
- The tavern was a busy place during the Revolutionary War years. Lend a hand and help wash all the bedding needed at the tavern. No washing machine here!
- Focus on the Civil War with the reading of General Orders 32 and other related activities at St. Philips.
- Learn about George Washington’s visit to Salem in 1791 and read a copy of his letter to the town of Salem.
- Enjoy cooking demonstrations with original 18th century recipes.
- Hear late 18th century music played in the Single Brothers’ House.