The Reich-Hege site on Lot 101 in Old Salem was excavated in 2005-2006 and remains open for viewing. It is located at the south end of Church Street at Race Street. Archaeological excavation and archival research revealed a site with complex meaning.
Salem was carefully planned in 1765-66 to develop from the center out and avoid sprawl, thus the south end of town was not laid out for general residential use until the 1820s. In 1830, shoemaker Emanuel Reich built a traditional Moravian house on what had been designated Lot 101. In 1851, he sold the house to George Hege, mill owner and farmer, who had extensive renovations made. When Hege and his wife moved into their new refurbished home, they brought with them several enslaved people.
Following the Hege’s occupation, the house was replaced by Central Park School in 1922. After the school ended operations, Old Salem purchased the property in 1976 for future exploration and restoration. Subsequent examination by Old Salem Archaeology revealed the ruin that is now visible.