Reich House on Lot 101 (top center) had a
central chimney and flanking wings. Eberhardt
House (lower right) on Lot 99 had a shed-roof wing and a free-standing shop. The African Church in Salem and a portion of the Negro God’s Acre is at left.
Detail from Salem about the Year 1840.
Lewis Eberhard House, built nearby in 1832, is a similar form to the Reich House.
Reich stone cellar (front to rear) as revealed through archaeological excavation. The stone chimney balk is at right; brick pier at left relates to the Hege renovations.
Before Lot 101 was created, the land at the south end of Church Street was used as meadow and pasture by the Salem Tavern. In 1827 the cross street, later named “Race Street,” was cut. This street took its name from the mill race at the foot of the hill.
Shoemaker Emanuel Reich built his house on Lot 101 on this cross street in 1830. Emanuel and his wife Agnes Christiana (m.n. Ruede) raised four children in this home.
A drawing of their house is shown at upper left. The main part of the house looked very much like Br. Eberhart’s House down the street and seen in the photograph at left. These were traditional Moravian houses built of wood on stone foundations with the rooms in each house grouped around a central chimney.
The Reich house had wings on each side. One wing was a shoe shop and the other was added for Emanuel’s maiden Aunt Verona. With three adults, four children, and one or two shoemaker’s apprentices living there, the Reich house must have been very lively indeed!
Archaeological excavation revealed the stone cellar of the Reich House, shown at left. The cellar was under the east, or left, half of the house and the central chimney foundation, or balk, is the diagonal structure at right in the cellar hole.
In 1851 Emanuel Reich sold his house to George Hege and bought the former Schumann House across Salem Creek. The Reichs were living in that house in the 1870s when the area became a neighborhood for Freedmen and known as “Happy Hill.”