John David Blum
Born: March 21, 1787
Died: November 13, 1860
David Blum was a bricklayer in Salem, North Carolina in the 19th century. He was part of the second wave of construction in the congregation town.
Blum was apprenticed to his father, where he learned the mason’s trade in 1803. His father and he worked on several buildings together. 1804 saw John David aiding in the construction of the Girls Boarding School. His father is documented walling up the rough stone, burning bricks and pinning the wall plates. Blum was also responsible for laying the foundation for the shed and walling in the bake oven of the school. In 1805 he aided his father in the work of digging and walling the cellar of Gottlob Schroeter’s House.
In 1805 Blum was apprenticed to Brother Christmann to learn the cooper’s trade.
In 1808 he petitioned for the ownership of the plantation of Brother Opitz. Here he was approved to run the plantation as well as make bricks in the summer months for use in the town.
David Blum then worked on the construction of a house for the Boarding School Inspector. In 1823 Blum requested several acres of land on the Salem tract to begin brick making in earnest, however this request was refused as the land was deemed not suitable for such purpose. In 1825, Blum was granted permission to build a schoolhouse near the northeast corner of the Salem lot for the instruction of their children. 1830 saw Blum building a new house on their plantation, however before he was finished his wife, Sarah passed away.
Blum sold his plantation in 1842 and built a home in the town of Salem. The house was noted for its large size. Blum tried to open a store in Salem, but had this declined. Instead he occupied himself as a mason in the surrounding area, finding work where it was available until a few years prior to his death in 1860.