William Gentry was a carpenter in Salem North Carolina in the early 1770s. He worked on several of the first buildings in Salem.
Gentry worked alongside Jens Schmid and Christian Triebel to determine the location of a bridge over Muddy Creek at the Shallow Ford Road. Gentry was assigned to complete a bridge approximately 15 feet high by November 1st 1772. This bridge was to be flood proof for at least four years, lest he build another at his own expense. He completed his task of building the half of the bridge on the Salem side of the creek. However the individuals from the Bethabara side had not completed their half, and Gentry was asked to finish the bridge in its entirety.
No further records exist.