Grade 4 & 5
GRADES 4 & 5
This 2 1/2 hour tour will focus on the growth and development of North Carolina and the United States and the rich culture, ethnic diversity and thriving economy of the community of Salem.
• Explore cultural borrowing and sharing of European Moravians, Native Americans and African Americans in early North Carolina while examining articles of clothing, musical instruments and food items.
• Learn how wool is turned into cloth by carding, spinning and weaving.
• Tour selected sites in Salem.
Students will also experience one of these two activities:
• Prepare and sample a seasonal recipe on the open hearth using 18th century cooking techniques.
• Learn about the Moravian system of apprenticeship by making a simple pot on a kick wheel.
Essential Standards: 4.H.1.1, 4.G.1.1, 4.G.1.2, 4.G.1.3, 4.E.1.1, 4.E.1.2, 4.C&G.1.4, 4.C.1.1, 4.C.1.2
Essential Standards: 5.H.1.1, 5.H.1.2, 5.H.1.3, 5.G.1.1, 5.G.1.2, 5.G.1.3, 5.G.1.4, 5.E.1.1, 5.C&G.1.3, 5.C.1.2, 5.C.1.4