header Imageheader Imageheader Image

The Town of Salem

Salem was founded in 1766 by the Moravians – a Protestant sect that began in part of Europe in what is now the Czech Republic. The Moravians were missionaries who established earlier towns in  Pennsylvania (Bethlehem and Nazareth, and later Lititz), before purchasing "Wachovia" in the North Carolina backcountry and beginning the first settlment of Bethabara in 1753. In the approximate center of the Wachovia Tract of nearly 100,000 acres, construction of the Town began in 1766 and in 1772 the residents officially moved into the community. Salem was the central administrative, spiritual, craft, and professional town eventually surrounded by five outlying communities or 'congregations.'

 

Please note that some buildings in the historic district are private residences and are not open for touring. Please respect our residents' property, gardens, and pets.

Buildings
Buildings

History
History

The Collection
The Collection

African American Heritage
African American Heritage

Tannenberg Organs
Tannenberg Organs

Cooking in Salem
Cooking in Salem

Visitor Center:

900 Old Salem Road

Mailing Address:

600 South Main St.

Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Phone: 336-721-7300

Contact Us

E-Newsletter Signup

  • CONNECT

  • facebook   twitter   youtube
  • flickr   pinterest   Old Salem Museums & Gardens

BUY A TICKET

Buy a Ticket

become a member of old salem

become a member