Winkler Baking Day, Every Saturday through December 28, 2019
Saturday, November 9, 2019 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Winkler Bakery
Saturdays through December 28, 2019
Come and experience Winkler Bakery like you have never before!
Gone are the room barriers and the off hours baking – Grab an apron and help us fire up the beehive oven and bake bread and cookies. You now have unprecedented access to experiencing one of the few 18th century beehive bake ovens in the nation.
As part of our Activate Main Street initiative, in addition to our long-established mercantile sales of baked goods, we have expanded Winkler Bakery to be a more dynamic, engaging site by telling its history through not only its culinary offerings but through the actual baking experience itself. We are excited about the new opportunity this special Saturday bake day will offer our visitors.
In addition to maintaining the retail sales of baked goods just as before:
- Saturdays are “Winkler Baking Day” focusing on the traditional baking of Moravian treats (bread, sugar cake, cookies).
- Our new signature program, “Salem Saturdays,” will now feature baking experiences at Winkler Bakery, complete with interpretation. Visitors will be engaged in actually preparing the beehive oven and the food in a way that presents the full process of baking in an 18th-century brick beehive oven.
- Winkler Bakery interior baking rooms have been established to facilitate a compelling hands-on visitor experience. Room barriers have been removed to allow for visitors to more intimately engage the baking process and the bake oven itself.
- Winkler Bakery interior environment has been reorganized to accommodate new “Hands-On Baking Workshops” that will teach cooking methods involved with an 18th-century bake oven. Keep your eyes open for the dates of these classes!
- The bake oven rooms feature costumed staff whose role is to actually bake and provide interpretation in the baking areas.
- Winkler Bakery now has expanded text panels and elements which will detail the Winkler family, the baking process, and “Hidden Town Project”