A thirty-six page German language alphabet book for children. It is extensively illustrated with woodblock prints. Each page is dedicated to a particular letter and includes a woodblock print, a small passage of text, and a list of words.
The Henkel Press was founded in 1806 by Ambrose Henkel (1786-1870) and his brother Solomon Henkel (1777-1847). Though the press is best known for publishing German-language religious literature, it also produced secular educational materials like this book.
RELATED OBJECTS: MESDA has a large collection of Henkel Press material (acc 5550). Among this material are woodblocks, books, prints, and manuscript material. MESDA also has a New Market fancy-painted chair owned by press co-founder Solomon Henkel (acc. 5838)