A sixteen page bilingual alphabet book that teaches children letters and basic words in both English and German. Each page consists of three columns: a column with an English word; a column with woodblock prints of that word; and a column of corresponding German words.
The Henkel Press was founded in 1806 by Ambrose Henkel (1786-1870) and his brother Solomon Henkel (1777-1847). Though the press is best known for publishing German-language religious literature, it also produced secular educational materials like this book.
RELATED OBJECTS: MESDA has a large collection of Henkel Press material (acc 5550). Among this material are woodblocks, books, prints, and manuscript material. MESDA also has a New Market fancy-painted chair owned by press co-founder Solomon Henkel (acc. 5838)