Collections › OSMG Collection › Chair, side

Chair, side

Artist/Maker:
Single Brothers’ Joinery
Place Made:
Probably Salem North Carolina United States of America
Date Made:
1770-1775
Medium:
walnut
Dimensions:
HOA 41 1/2; WOA 18; DOA 17
Accession Number:
416.4
Description:
Over a dozen of this form of chair survive, and many of them have a history of Church ownership and use. These chairs seem to match the description of the ” 6 black walnut Chairs with woven seats” from the 1776 inventory of the Salem Gemein Haus.

The Gemein Haus was a building that had a space in which the minister and his family lived and a chapel used for worship. The Salem Gemein Haus, built in 1771, served as the church for the community until the church building was built in 1800.

DESCRIPTION: Chair has curved, yoked crest rail with solid vasiform splat mortised between crest rail and solid rail several inches above the seat rail. Stiles of seat back remain straight to form back legs; stretchers and front legs are turned; seat rails are mortised and pinned into front legs and into back styles; seondary rails with woven split seat are rounded.

Credit Line:
On loan by the Moravian Church, Southern Province.