A set of these chairs was apparently made for the Salem Gemein Haus, perhaps when it was built in 1771. A 1776 inventory of the building listing of “6 black walnut Chairs with woven seats” is probably referring to chairs like this one. Over a dozen of this form of chair survive, and many of them have a history of Church ownership and use.
The Gemein Haus was a building that had a space in which the minister and his family lived and a chapel used for worship. The Salem Gemein Haus, built in 1771, served as the church for the community until the church building was built in 1800.
Chair has curved, yoked crest rail with solid vasiform splat mortised between crest rail and solid rail several inches above the seat rail. Stiles of seat back remain straight to form back legs; stretchers and front legs are turned; seat rails are mortised and pinned into front legs and into back styles; seondary rails with woven split seat are rounded.
This chair was used behind the Communion Table, T-34, of the Home Moravian Church, from 1800-1870. See Pulpit, P-47.