Gnadenthal in Sud Africa
Neuhauser, Wilhelm Fredriech
ink on paper
HOA 6 1/2; WOA 9 7/8
One of a series of views of Moravian communities around the world published by Wilhelm Fredriech Neuhauser. This print is a scene of Gnadenthal in South Africa. Gnadenthal has a rich spiritual history and was the first mission station in South Africa. It was founded by Georg Schmidt, a German missionary of the Moravian Church, who settled on 23 April 1738 in Baviaans Kloof (Ravine of the Baboons) in the Riviersonderend Valley and began to evangelize among the Khoi people.
ARTIST: Wilhelm Ferdinand Neuhäuser was born December 24, 1795 in Niesky, remained unmarried, and died in Niesky on February 3, 1833.