Collections › OSMG Collection › Goblet

Goblet

Artist/Maker:
Leinbach, Traugott __Retailer ||Lindner, George __Attributed to
Place Made:
Retailed in Salem, North Carolina by Traugott Leinbach Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Date Made:
1857
Medium:
silver
Dimensions:
HOA: 6-5/8″; DIA: 3-5/8″
Accession Number:
192 a
Description:
DESCRIPTION: Silver goblet decorated with a repousse scene of a cottage and bridge and with central cartouche of C-scrolls, leaves, and a flower. The body sits atop an attached pedestal and round molded base with repousse ornament of flowers and leaves. The cup has applied banding and beading around the rim and smaller beading around the base.

INSCRIPTION: Engraved with on side of body in central cartouche: “R.W. deS. / from / his affectionate Pupils / Sept. 20th 1857.” for Robert William de Schweinitz (1819-1901).

MAKER: Traugott Leinbach (1796-1863) was born in Salem, North Carolina and at age fifteen was apprenticed to the town’s silversmith and watchmaker John Volger (1783-1881). In March 1820 Leinbach requested permission to travel to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania–presumably to work as a journeyman silversmith–and begin his own shop upon returning to Salem. A year later Leinbach did return to North Carolina and opened his silversmith’s business in Salem. Only two months later, in March 1821, he was back in Pennsylvania where he married Maria Theresia Lange (1799-1860) of Bethlehem. The couple settled in Salem where Leinbach continually operated his shop over the next forty years. For a time in the 1850s he formed a partnership (T. Leinbach & Son) with one of his sons, Nathaniel Augustine Leinbach (1832-1877). In 1860 he moved with his wife back to her hometown of Bethlehem, where Leinbach died on 30 April 1863. He used marks with two spellings of his last name, “Leinbach” and “Linebach,” throughout his career. See John Bivins and Paula Welshimer, “Moravian Decorative Arts in North Carolina: An Introduction to the Old Salem Collection” (Winston-Salem, NC: Old Salem, 1981) and George Barton Cutten and Mary Reynolds Peacock, “Silversmiths of North Carolina, 1696-1860”, 2nd rev. ed. (Raleigh: North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, Division of Archives and History, 1984).

George Lindner (b.c.1798-d.c.1872) was born in Hanover, Germany and had emigrated to the United States by the 1840s. He owned $2,000 in Philadelphia real estate in 1850 and $3,000 ten years later. His son Herman Lindner (b.c.1831-1891) was also a silversmith. Traugott Leinbach (1796-1863) of Salem, North Carolina seems to have had a long and successful business relationship with George Lindner’s Philadelphia shop. There are many silver items sold by Leinbach and with Salem provenances that possess Lindner’s intaglio manufacturer’s marks of a spread eagle in an oval reserve over the initial “L” in a diamond reserve over a silhouette in an oval reserve. See Catherine B. Hollan, “Philadelphia Silversmiths and Related Artisans to 1861” (McLean, VA: Hollan Press, 2013) and George Barton Cutten and Mary Reynolds Peacock, “Silversmiths of North Carolina, 1696-1860”, 2nd rev. ed. (Raleigh: North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, Division of Archives and History, 1984).

FORM: Although silver goblets had been made in America since the seventeenth century, the form is uncommon. Most were intended for use in churches (communion chalices); however, in the nineteenth century many were made for domestic purposes. Domestic goblets were often ornamented with either the owner’s initials, surnames, or more lengthy inscriptions. Both communion chalices and domestic goblets were sometimes elaborately decorated with cast, die-stamped, engraved, or repousse ornament. Some goblets are lined with a gold wash although the wash is often worn away.

History:
The goblet was engraved for Robert William de Schweinitz, who was the inspector (headmaster) of the Salem Female Academy in 1857. He was born in Salem in 1819 to Rev. Lewis de Schweinitz (1780-1834) and his wife Louisa Amelia Ledoux. He died in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania in 1901. The goblet was acquired from the de Schweinitz family.