One of a series of views of Moravian communities around the world published by Wilhelm Fredriech Neuhauser. This image shows the settlement of Okkak, a small island off the cost of Labrador.
In 1771 King George III of England gave a land grant to the Moravian Church to establish missions for the local Inuit in northern Labrador. In the 18th century, Jens Haven and his followers built missions at Nain (1771), Okkak (1776) and Hopedale (1782). These missions also served as trading posts.
ARTIST: Wilhelm Ferdinand Neuhäuser was born December 24, 1795 in Niesky, remained unmarried, and died in Niesky on February 3, 1833.