Collections › OSMG Collection › Painted Box

Painted Box

Artist/Maker:
Unknown
Place Made:
Salem North Carolina United States of America
Date Made:
1775
Medium:
wood –paint
Dimensions:
HOA 5-1/2″; WOA 11″
Accession Number:
5567
Description:
Christopher Elrod was one of the founding members of the Moravians’ English speaking community, Hope. Apparently given in recognition, this box is inscribed inside the lid “Geschenk Zu Christopher Elrod, nord Carolina Salem 1775”, which translated means, “Presented to Christopher Elrod, North Carolina, Salem, 1775.”

In the 1760s, Moravian ministers held services in English in the home of John Douthit, who together with Christopher Elrod (b.1721-d.January 29, 1785) and others organized Hope Moravian Church in 1780. The Hope community included a number of English settlers who arrived from Carroll’s Manor, Maryland in the 1770s, among them the Boyer, Butner, Hamilton, Markland, Peddycoard, and Padgett families. http://www.fmoran.com/morav.html

Bentwood box with removable lid; traces of red painted flower and leaf-like motifs on dark painted ground.

History:
There were also English-speaking settlers living in this area who found an affiliation with the Moravians. In the 1760s, Moravian ministers held services in English in the home of John Douthit, who together with Christopher Elrod (b.1721-d.January 29, 1785) and others organized Hope Moravian Church in 1780. The Hope community included a number of English settlers who arrived from Carroll’s Manor, Maryland in the 1770s, among them the Boyer, Butner, Hamilton, Markland, Peddycoard, and Padgett families. http://www.fmoran.com/morav.html
Credit Line:
Old Salem Purchase Museums and Gardens