The form is wheel thrown, then trimmed on both flat ends. A neck for the opening of the rundlet was thrown on the wheel separately from the body of the piece and later applied to the ovoid side after the clay was set up. There is a white slip over the red earthenware clay, and a green lead glaze over the slip. The interior is glazed, suggesting that it did serve the purpose of holding liquids.
The production of this piece made in Salem, North Carolina, dates to the time period in which Rudolph Christ was operating the pottery shop in Salem. Rudolph Christ apprenticed under Gottfried Aust in Salem, North Carolina. He established his own pottery in Bethabara in 1786 and worked there until 1789. He succeeded Aust as master potter in Salem from 1789 to 1821.
Brown, Johanna. “Tradition and Adaptation in Moravian Press-Molded Wares.” CERAMICS IN AMERICA (2009) 105-138.
RELATED NAME: Shaffner, H. (owner)