The maker of this sampler, Anna Hanes (1799-1869), was a member of the Hope Moravian congregation south of Salem. The daughter of Philip and Johanna Salome Frey (Hannah) Hanes, Anna was a boarding student since her parents did not live in Salem. Anna married Salem resident Emanuel Shober in 1826 and lived in Salem until her death.
Anna’s parents built the Philip Hanes House (now in Clemmons town limits) ca. 1798.