J J & C Catoctin Furnace
Frederick County Maryland United States of America
LOA 21; WOA 12; HOA 18 1/2
DESCRIPTION: Six-plate cast iron stove, the side plates decorated with a classical standing figure of a woman at an urn standing on a square pedestal, the front plate decorated with a mask above the door opening and with half-round columns at each side, the back plate decorated with an oval enclosed in foliage and with the inscription, in script: “J J & C/Catco Furn/1786.” The upper and lower plates are equipped with rod places at center of each side, and lower plate protrudes in a semi-circle forward of the file door. Bolts, base and fire door are missing. Smoke hole, 4 1/2″ dia., is at back of top plate. Hearth 8 1/2″
ARTIST BIO: Established by James Johnson & Co., Frederick County, Maryland, in 1774. The furnace was rebuilt in 1787 and 1831 and was still in blast in 1880. See Mercer, THE BIBLE IN IRON, pg. 118.
HISTORY: This stove was found in the attic of a home near Mint Springs, Virginia.