Collections › OSMG Collection › Trinity Side Chair

Trinity Side Chair

Artist/Maker:
Unknown
Place Made:
Salem North Carolina United States of America
Date Made:
1790-1810
Medium:
cherry, leather
Dimensions:
HOA 43 1/2; WOA 20 7/8
Accession Number:
C-326
Description:
DESCRIPTION: A high back cherry side chair with upholstered leather seat; center pierced splat, stay rail, crest rail; leather seat has brass nail trim; back legs are marlboro-like while the front legs taper at the bottom; no stretchers.
History:
HISTORY: This chair was last used in the Trinity Moravian Church for about twenty-five years. It was formerly used in the Home Moravian Church.

CHAIR: “A cherry side chair is a curious mixture of three styles, with its sunk-beaded, tapering legs of the Federal style, a simple pierced splat in the late Rococo style, and the curving back and simple crest that is soldily Baroque – almost an exact duplication of the form of 15th c. Chinese chairs.” (Bivins & Welshimer p.25)

Credit Line:
Gift of Mr. Douglas Rights