Salem Saturdays at Christmas 2019
Salem Saturdays at Christmas (November 16th – December 28th) are a daytime, town-wide event that is great fun for the kids, and just what you need during the hectic holiday season. Slow down, stroll Main Street, visit the decorated buildings, and sit & chat by a fire with our interpreters. Learn how this remote part of Carolina created an environment of celebration and reflection in the solitude of this rural landscape. A Moravian Christmas in North Carolina has a distinctive southern quality. A slight nip in the air, an abundance of pine & magnolia leaves, the smell of beeswax candles, intricate putz, decorated pyramid trees, and of course baked treats straight out of the beehive oven.
Don’t go to the mall this year, plan to visit with St. Nick in his very special Workshop in the Butner Hat Shop. Tell him what you would like for Christmas, take pictures all while you warm yourself next to the cozy fireplace. There will be a St. Nick at the Vogler House for those with special needs (Date to be confirmed). Regular holiday ticket required. A full day of gift buying can be enjoyed as you search for the perfect Handcrafted Salemitem!
- Take notice of all of the Christmas decorations our Horticulture Team have created using plants directly from the historic district.
- Our newly updated Winkler Bakery has two full floors of goodies, baked goods, cookies, chocolates, and gifts just waiting for you to enjoy.
- Winkler Bake Day – join us in actually making goodies and cooking in the squirrel tail bake oven.
- Salem Sleuth”. Let the little ones enjoy Salem while they keep their eyes open in our scavenger hunt.
- Miksch Gardens & House. Stop in and stay a bit, and see how the earliest houses in Salem celebrated Christmas. Find out what’s cooking, fold some clothes, and become part of the family. Maybe you can help grind spices for our gingerbread!
- John Vogler House “Quilting Frolic”. Unlike any other house museum, take a seat and chat while you try your hand at our group quilting party. Try your hand at a Christmas craft and help decorate the tree.
- The Joiner’s Woodshop. See how the Christmas pyramid is constructed and try your hand at the lathe or the hand-plane. This is definitely a stop for those who like to try things out.
- Boys’ School. Experience the Cabinet of Curiosities while you listen to a selection of Moravian music. Impromptu concerts of holiday music will be played on our piano forte are not uncommon.
- Gunsmith Workshop. There is a chill in the air, but don’t stand to close to the coals while you watch our master craftspeople prepare metalwork.
- Potter’s Workshop. Always an exciting time in our new workshop, Get messy while you join our master craftspeople in creating our special and Handcrafted Salem pottery.
- T. Bagge Merchant. People come from all around to buy the unique items in our stores. Take home one of our new Handcrafted Salem items. Perfect for Christmas gifts!
- Salem Tavern Museum and Barn. Experience the tavern barn yard and join us for a special Saturday hearthside cooking day.
- “Hidden Town” Room of Meditation & Reflection. Spend some quiet time in our room dedicated to those who were enslaved in Salem (above the historic tavern kitchen).
- St. Philips Heritage Center. The entire family can learn about the African-American legacy that grew out of the Moravian town of Salem. See how this congregation celebrated the season.
- Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts – Get up close to (and maybe even touch!) a different seasonal artifact every week at our “closer look” tables and search our galleries for clues in our special scavenger hunt!
- Single Brothers’ House. Sit, lie down, open drawers, and journal in the unmarried men’s communal living quarters. See how they prepared for the winter season ( and kept warm) in the 1700’s. Don’t miss our “Salem Waterworks” Exhibit or our textile craftsperson working the loom.
- Visit our Salem Stitches workshop space, in the lower level of Moravian a book and Gift. View the Quilts made by local quilt designers, schedule time to sew a holiday gift, or buy a gift for your favorite sewist.
HANDCRAFTED + SALEM 1766 items will be available in our retail stores and ready to be wrapped and placed under the tree.
We also offer special workshops, evening tours, and other experiences: Some of which are listed below:
- Crafting Christmas: Holiday Candlelight Tours – Multiple Dates and Times
- Salem Night: Softly the Night is Sleeping, Candlelight evening, December 21st, Special Hours – 1:00 pm-7:30 pm)
- 2019 Winter Fair (December 26, 27, 28, 29th, 9:30 am – 4:30 pm)