We are very happy for our visitors to take non-flash photographs while they are enjoying the interiors of interpreted buildings as well as the historic district streetscape. To protect the quality experience for our ticketed guests, and private residents, Old Salem Museum and Gardens staff, may need to restrict the time, manner, and location of photography on Museum property at any time without advance notice.
Are you a professional photographer?
Follow these steps:
- Please download, read, and sign our Photography Policy (updated October 2021).
- Schedule an 90 minute photography session using the calendar below.
- Pay for your session through “SCHEDULED YOUR SESSION? PAY NOW” button.
- Bring proof of payment and a signed copy of the photography policy (print or digital) to your session.
- Staff monitor the historic district and grounds. Please be prepared to show documents upon request.
- PLEASE NOTE: Areas are not closed to previously scheduled groups or to the general public during photography sessions.
Do you have an active photography permit with us?
We are phasing out our photography permit process. If you have an active photography permit, you may schedule an appointment without making a payment. We will cross-reference your booking with your permit. Please ensure that your name on the booking matches the name on your photography permit.
Schedule your photography session:
For additional information, please contact Samantha Smith, Director of Community Engagement. All photographers must read and comply with the following detailed rules and bring a copy of the photography policy with them (digital or print) on location. Violation of the rules may result in fines from the City of Winston-Salem and/or misdemeanor arrest.
Private Large group photography (family portraits, proms, weddings, holiday, etc.) by non-ticketed visitors for personal use is strongly discouraged during regular museum operating hours.
Film and Video Production location scouts and producers must contact Samantha Smith, Director of Community Engagement
Media-related Photography is allowed with prior notification and approval from Samantha Smith, Director of Community Engagement.
Drones are not allowed on any Old Salem Museums & Gardens property (as per FAA laws)