Student Field Trip Request
School Field Trips 2024
Old Salem is happy to host your school for your next field trip! Here, your students can explore cross-curricular connections to our local history! Old Salem offers a wide variety of historical demonstrations and programs for all ages to enjoy through the preservation and interpretation of material culture, architecture, and cultural landscapes. We are here to bring to life Salem’s 18th and 19th century history outside of the classroom!
Please note that some of these programs may not be available on the day of the tour and could be supplemented with another program in another building. Your Group Tour Coordinator will inform you of changes on your day of arrival. Upon arrival the lead teacher and group leaders will receive a map, group starting point, and materials. Students will receive their orientation, then break for bathroom, and their group leader will take their students to the first destination.
Homeschool Days 2024
Old Salem is pleased to welcome homeschoolers year-round. After all, who better can appreciate the Moravian education philosophy that “all play has purpose” than our homeschooling friends! So, bring the education outside of your four walls on any of our regular days of operation, or you can take advantage of our specific Homeschool Days. Homeschool days are designed with a different flow in mind, to specifically accommodate your smaller groups. On these days, home schoolers receive the same group tours rates that larger field trip groups receive, and you can avoid the crowds of bus-driven school groups. We are here for you, to aid your exploration of all the cross-curricular connections that our local history can hold. So come see us on Homeschool Days at Old Salem! And don’t forget to pair your visit with some of our free standards-based digital content and teacher resources: For the Classroom
We are offering 3 days for homeschool families to visit Old Salem where public/private schools are not booked. These dates are February 28th, May 8th, & May 24th! For groups of 11 or less students please purchase your tickets using the links below! YOU DO NOT NEED TO FILL OUT A REQUEST FORM IF YOU HAVE 11 OR LESS STUDENTS IN YOUR GROUP! Homeschool Days are an online ticket sale only! There are limited tickets for each homeschool day, purchase yours today! We encourage homeschool groups with multiple families to purchase their tickets at their discretion as Old Salem does not offer refunds for “no-shows” in groups.
How to Request and Book a Field Trip Reservation
Submit your request more than 60 days prior to your desired visit date. Field trips only occur on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Bookings fill quickly! The Group Tours office will not book a reservation if you ask less than 60 days before the desired visit date.
Please include several dates of interest when filling out your request. A request does not mean you have secured that date. To secure a field trip date you must complete the following, 60 days before the desired field trip date:
- Confirm via email with your Group Tour Coordinator: the headcount of students, teachers, and total number of parent chaperones.
- Sign the reservation contract created by the Group Tour Coordinator. This shows the predicted price.
- Return the reservation contract to the Group Tours office within 3 business days of receipt.
- Pay the full cost of field trip 30 days before the field trip. OLD SALEM MUSEUMS & GARDENS CANNOT ACCEPT PAYMENT ON THE DAY OF YOUR TRIP!
Your date is held in earnest when you sign a reservation contract, but if payment is not received on the stated due date, then your tour will be cancelled. The Group Tours Office manages all payments.
Spring Ticket costs
- Student tickets: $12.00
- Additional adult tickets, included in the invoice: $26.00
- The school receives one (1) complimentary adult ticket per 12 students. This is suggested for the teachers. Old Salem does not offer complimentary tickets to bus drivers.
- If the school opts to not pay for parent chaperones, those parents must pay on their own, and will pay a Day of Rate of $30.00
- A 7% sales tax for county and state will be applied to each ticket value.
- Old Salem applies a 7% county and state sales tax to all ticket orders.
- Old Salem gives 1 complimentary adult ticket per 12 students.
- Additional adults outside of the required chaperone minimum must pay for their ticket. The adults can pay through the school’s contract to receive a discount.
- Old Salem does not refund tickets for students or adult “No Shows” on the field trip day. Old Salem provides a “Student Ticket Voucher” for a student who could not attend; this voucher is valid for one year.
The Learning in Place team is thrilled for the opportunity to bring Salem’s 18th and 19th century history to life for your students! Thank you!
Still Have Questions?
Call the Group Tours Office at 336-721-7345, visit this webpage, OR email the Group Tours Office, [email protected]
Student Group Tour Reservation Requests
Teachers must submit a formal request through this form, in order to start the processing of booking a tour. Submitting a form does not guarantee a date or reservation, that step is completed through communication with the Group Tours office, signing a contract, and receiving payment 30 days before the field trip. NOTE: OLD SALEM CANNOT ACCEPT PAYMENT ON THE DAY OF YOUR TRIP! Please allow 3-5 business days for someone to reach out to you regarding your request. Requests are a first come, first served basis.