Historic buildings are open from 9:30 am.-4:30 pm. with special activities taking place between 9:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
Spring: March 22 and 23, 2018 and April 11 and 12, 2018Historic District(900 Old Salem Road)Old Salem Historic District
Fall: October 5, 11 and 12, 2017
Spring: March 14, 15 2018, April 11 and 12, 2018
“Science never appears so beautiful as when applied to the uses of human life.” – Thomas Jefferson
The Moravians of Salem had an advanced understanding of science and technology: agriculture, astronomy, botany, surveying, architecture and manufacturing. Science was a tool used to solve the problems of everyday life. The American scientific “can-do” spirit led to many revolutionary discoveries and inventions.
Examples of experiences that you might have include:
- Learn how the Moravians used a fire engine and bucket brigade to protect the town of Salem and take part in a brigade!
- Learn about the first electric lights in Salem.
- Learn how a pipe organ works.
- Try your hand at fire-building technology.
- Experience how a potter uses minerals for glazes and discover the unique properties of clay.
- Use scales, standard and non-standard units of measurement while exploring common receipts of the 18th century.
- Learn how lye from ashes can make something you use every day!
- See how the use of block and tackle and pulleys can lighten a work load
- Explore the science behind the candles that were used to light a Moravian home.
- See how leavening agents long ago were used to put the bubbles in your baked goods.
- Learn how sugar cane was harvested, processed, and turned into sugar crystals.
- See how an American Longrifle is made and fired.
- Experience butter churning
- See how a pendulum works to keep time.
- Price: $15 per student, $23 per adult if booked and paid with the school by 3o days prior to tour (otherwise $27 walk-in rate). One (1) complimentary adult per 12 students
Availability of certain activities subject to change depending on date and registration numbers.
Please call 1-800-441-5305 to make a reservation for your class today.