Salem Saturdays in Autumn
Saturday, August 25, 2018 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Occurs every Saturday August 25th to November 10th, 2018
“Old Salem’s had something of a makeover, and it’s wonderful!”
Grab the kids and head to the NEW Old Salem for an all-day (or two-day) experience. Start the day off at the Cobblestone/Old Salem Farmers Market, spend some family, quality-time with us exploring all of the history within the new kid-friendly “please touch” buildings, take one of our popular “Hands-On-Workshops”, stroll Main Street, enjoy a boxed picnic in Salem Square, and do a bit of early Holiday shopping in our fabulous stores (a new batch of our bespoke Salem pottery will be waiting for you). It truly is a special time at Old Salem – just for you and your family.
- “Salem Sleuth”. Let the little ones enjoy Salem while they keep their eyes open in our scavenger hunt.
- Winkler Bakery. Saturday is bake day at Winkler Bakery and a great time to actually see the beehive oven in action!
- Miksch House & Gardens. Stop in and stay a bit, find out what’s cooking, fold some clothes, and become part of the family. Maybe you can help in the garden!
- Vogler House “Quilting Frolic”. Unlike any other house museum, take a seat and chat while you try your hand at our group quilting party.
- The Joiner’s Woodworking Shop. Be prepared to try your hand at the lathe or the hand-plane. This is definately a stop for those who like to try things out.
- Boy’s School. Experience the all new Cabinet of Curiosities while you listen to a selection of Moravian music. Impromptu concerts played on our piano forte are not uncommon.
- Vogler Gunshop. Don’t stand to close to the coals while you watch our master craftspeople prepare metalwork.
- T. Bagge Pottery. Always an exciting time in our new worskshop, Get messy while you join our master craftspeople in creating our special Salem pottery.
- T. Bagge Merchant. People come from all around to buy the unique items in our stores. We will have Saturday sales and live craftsman presentations. Take home one of our newly glazed pottery items.
- Historic Tavern Kitchen & Barn. Experience the new tavern barn yard and join us for a special Saturday hearthside cooking day.
- “Hidden Town” Room of Meditation & Reflection. Spend some quiet time in our room dedicated to those who were enslaved in Salem.
- St. Phillips African American Heritage Center. The entire family can learn about the African-American legacy that grew out of the Moravian town of Salem.
- Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts – Spend some time with the family in our kid-friendly Moravian Gallery of Material Culture.
- Single Brother’s House. Sit, lie down, open drawers, and journal in the unmarried men’s communal living quarters. See what it was like to actually live in the 1700’s. Don’t miss our new “Salem Waterworks” Exhibit or our textile craftsperson working the loom.
- Visit our new Salem Stitches workshop space (opening October 2018).
District Wide – Please review the Universal Access side of your visitor map
We also offer special workshops, evening tours, and other experiences: Some of which are listed below:
- Hands-On Workshops. $50 per person.
- “Behind the Scenes Tour” at the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts. Offered Saturdays at 11:00am & 2:00pm. $20 per person.
- Salem Saturday Family Boxed picnic by Flour Box Tea Room. Please call in advanced the Flour Box at 336.201.5182 . Adult Boxed Lunch, Child Boxed Lunch, Price varies.
- Night Watchman Legends & Lanterns Tour. $40 per person.
- Special Hotel packages. Price varies.
- Cobblestone/Old Salem Farmers Market. Open at 9:00am -12:00pm. Free.