Salem Saturdays in Summer
History is alive at Old Salem. This summer is no exception.
The sun is out! Grab your family & friends and walk the sunny streets of Salem.
See garden harvesting and food preservation for the next winter. Now is the time when tools and machinery really made a difference to the residents of the town of Salem. There was too much to do and not enough of the day to complete all of the tasks – all with no air conditioning! From household implements to large-scale agricultural contraptions, take a behind the scenes look at these handy artifacts.
Salem Saturdays in Summer (Included in an All-in-One ticket)
- “Salem Sleuth.” Let the little ones enjoy Salem while they keep their eyes open in our scavenger hunt.
- Winkler Bake Day. Saturday is bake day at Winkler Bakery and a great time to see the beehive oven in action!
- Special Salem Saturdays in Summer Organ Concerts. June 1, June 15, June 29, July 13, July 27 and August 10: 2:30 pm- 3:00 pm. Old Salem Visitors Center. Included with an All-in-One ticket or the concert can be one of your stops with our “Two-Stop Ticket”. For ticketed visitors, Scott Carpenter, Old Salem Director of Music will play the 1800 Tannenberg Organ and allow guests to peek behind the scenes into the bellows chamber. Gray Auditorium.
- Miksch Gardens & House. Learn how foods were prepared out of the garden and preserved for the next winter. We may spinning yarn or making soap, so come find out what is happening today!
- John Vogler House “Quilting Frolic.” Unlike any other house museum, take a seat and chat while you try your hand at our group quilting party.
- The Joiner’s Workshop. Come and see the joiners as they work to restore the 1815 Blum House using the tools and techniques of the Moravian joiners for hundreds of years. Try your hand at using a bench plane to prepare the wood for windows, doors, and shutters or see how they recreate an old world work bench initially made by the joiners in the 18th century. Be prepared to try your hand at the lathe or the hand-plane. This stop is a place for those who like to try things out.
- Boys’ School. Explore the cabinet of curiosities as well as the many other teaching tools used for learning music, geography, mathematics, natural history, languages and more! Impromptu concerts played on our pianoforte are not uncommon.
- Gunsmith Workshop. From forge to file and from metal to wood. A combination of materials plays a role in the gunsmith’s trade. Explore the many specialty tools used in this shop.
- Potter’s Workshop. Learn about the tools and process of 18th-century mold-work.
- T. Bagge Merchant. People come from all around to buy the unique items in our stores. We will have Saturday sales and live craftsman presentations. Take home one of our newly glazed pottery items.
- Salem Tavern Museum Kitchen & Barn. Pickled, Salted and Smoked: see how fresh food from the garden is being used now and preserved for tasty meals during the winter.
- “Hidden Town” Room of Meditation & Reflection. Spend some quiet time in our room dedicated to those who were enslaved in Salem.
- St. Philips Heritage Center. The entire family can learn about the African-American legacy that grew out of the Moravian town of Salem.
- Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts. From trees to tables and dirt to dishes, take a closer look at the tools, trades, and traditions, behind the amazing objects in our MESDA Galleries.
- Single Brothers’ House. Sit, lie down, open drawers, and journal in the unmarried men’s communal living quarters. See what it was like to live in the 1700s. Don’t miss our new “Salem Waterworks” exhibit or our textile craftsperson working the loom.
- Doctor’s House. Explore the doctor’s apothecary shop, see how the doctor’s family lived and worked alongside his patients, and view the exhibit “The Moravian Way of Health and Healing” on the second floor.
- Visit our new Salem Stitches. Free demos every Saturday on the half hour in June & July (lower level on the rear of Moravian Book & Gift).
Special Salem Summer Organ Concerts.
June 1, June 15, June 29, July 13, July 27 and August 10: 2:30 pm- 3:00 pm. Included with an All-in-One ticket or the concert can be one of your stops with our “Two-Stop Ticket”. For ticketed visitors, Scott Carpenter, Old Salem Director of Music will play the 1800 Tannenberg Organ and allow guests to peek behind the scenes into the bellows chamber. Gray Auditorium. Old Salem Visitors Center.
June “Salem Saturdays in Summer” WINKLER BAKERY SALE: Chocolate Chip Ginger Bread, Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, Flourless Chocolate Toree at Winkler Bakery.
July “Salem Saturdays in Summer” WINKLER BAKERY SALE: Pumpernickel Rye Bread, Blueberry Streusel, Strawberry Streusel.
August “Salem Saturdays in Summer” WINKLER BAKERY SALE: Italian Herb Bread, Carrot Cake, Key Lime
Visit the Merchants of Old Salem and take a look at ourHANDCRAFTED SALEM +1766 Pottery and other handcrafted items.
Every Saturday 8:30AM – 12:00PM